Enforcement of Orders and Contempt Proceedings

Mother and the sonUtah Enforcement of Orders and Utah Contempt Proceedings

After the court enters the final divorce decree (or paternity decree or separation order), the parties must comply with the legal obligations of that order to the best of their ability.  When your ex-spouse fails to comply with the order, take note of it.  The attorneys at Utah Divorce Firm can assist you in enforcing the order.  For example, you can motion the court to find the other party “in contempt” and request that sanctions be imposed on him or her.  In addition, Utah’s Office of Recovery Services can garnish a parent’s regular paycheck to pay for child support, or criminal charges may be filed if a party fails to comply with a protective order.

Motions to find your ex-spouse in contempt are effective when your ex-spouse has failed to comply with any of the following:

  • Failure to pay child support

  • Failure to pay alimony

  • Failure to pay debts

  • Failure to list or sell property to be sold under the agreement like a home, land, car or other property

  • Failure to divide a retirement plan

  • Failure to allow parent-time

Salt Lake City, Orem, Provo, Ogden, Sandy Contempt Attorney

If your ex is failing to comply with a court order or if you have been served with a order to show cause claiming you are in contempt, please call Utah Divorce Firm today at (801) 424-5280 and let us be your advocate through this process so you can enforce your rights under the order or set the record straight where you have been unable to comply with an order.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Just another WordPress site